I am 33, with a degree in psychology. My experience, however, isn't limited to what I learned in school. I have been independently studying psychology & dreams since I was 13.

Though I AM NOT CURRENTLY A PRACTICING PSYCHOLOGIST, I wanted to do this blog because I believe that I have life experience that people can relate to and thought maybe it could help. So, please feel free to share your stories because secrets give our problems power
.









Anyone with OCD, has probably seen or heard about A&E's series "Obsessed". Basically, the show follows two people with the disorder while they go through weeks of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

This type of therapy focuses on exposure to your fears. So, it you're afraid of germs, you'll be covered in them, etc. Honestly, I think this is the way to go; but I know what it would take to go through that and frankly, I'm not ready.

I try to watch, with hopes that it might encourage me or even help. It's hard though, because I feel anxious for the people going through it. Also because there are times when someone with OCD can influence me and even give me new things to obsess over.

I'm not sure if anyone who doesn't have it can understand that facet of it, but sometimes people will say something about their fears and something will click inside me. Like, "oh, I never thought of that, but now I will".

Years ago, I would join chat groups about OCD and I remember someone telling me their house was "contaminated" so they had to move. I'm sorry for saying this, but I thought she was nuts. Now, I have these same thoughts and feel desperate to move. This, among many other things, let's me know just how bad it's gotten for me. I know I do need help or I fear what will happen.

Everything I've read or heard says the fear of going crazy is normal and that it's an unnecessary fear, but that just isn't comforting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment