I am 33, with a degree in psychology. My experience, however, isn't limited to what I learned in school. I have been independently studying psychology & dreams since I was 13.

Though I AM NOT CURRENTLY A PRACTICING PSYCHOLOGIST, I wanted to do this blog because I believe that I have life experience that people can relate to and thought maybe it could help. So, please feel free to share your stories because secrets give our problems power
.








As I was watching Obsessed last night, it hit me that this show is exactly like A&E's Intervention. This is disturbing because I know how I feel when I watch Intervention, how sympathetic I feel and yet it's total entertainment. I guess you can't know how degrading that idea is until they do a show about your darkest secret.

Now that the show is about OCD, it sucks to think that there are people out there watching only to feel better about their own lives by seeing how horrible others have it. It's not entertainment for me, it's educational; but like I said, I've definitely been on the other side of it with Intervention. Though I don't know that Intervention was pure entertainment for me. I do like to study behavior. I never judged. In fact, I feel like I do understand why people turn to drugs and I am grateful that I never have.

In many ways, OCD is similar, just as eating disorders, cutting and other addictions are similar. They're all outlets, coping mechanisms. This is what we turn to when we don't face our issues. I'm realizing that more now than ever.

My OCD is at a all time high. That sounds obvious because it's progressive; but there are times, when stress levels are low, that the OCD is easier to deal with. Now, is not one of those times. I'm more frightened of my OCD and the hold it has over me now than ever before.

I know I'll have to do something soon or I'm going to be one of those people facing dire consequences, such as possible divorce, hospitalization, and loss of freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment