I am 33, with a degree in psychology. My experience, however, isn't limited to what I learned in school. I have been independently studying psychology & dreams since I was 13.

Though I AM NOT CURRENTLY A PRACTICING PSYCHOLOGIST, I wanted to do this blog because I believe that I have life experience that people can relate to and thought maybe it could help. So, please feel free to share your stories because secrets give our problems power
.








I realize my last post may have put a bad light on my father, but I do want to say, my father was a good father. Maybe he wasn't a good husband or a good friend, I don't know; but he was a good father...a great father!

He never abused me, but he could be cruel to others around me. As a kid, not understanding everything going on, specifically not understanding the part my dad was playing in things, I thought my mother was actually the one to blame for everything.

All I knew was that I loved my father more than anything in the world and yet my mother seemed, at times, to despise him. I didn't understand, until I got older, just why my mom was truly upset all the time. I just knew she was mean to my dad and put him down every chance she got.

Now this is important, because for all those parents out there who put down their spouse in front of their kids, I can offer some perspective. As a kid who had this happen, I can tell you, my mom might as well have been putting me down because I took everything she said about my dad personally. He was my dad, I loved him and he was part of me.

I grew up feeling like I was a bad person because my dad was a "bad person". For a lot of years I was like a guard dog, defending my dad and myself to anyone who put him down. Although I was close to my mom, it kept a distance between us.

Of course, like I said, I understand now. My dad was abusive and my mom was in an impossible situation. Still, I think both people should have handled things differently. I guess there are good and bad sides to us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment