I am 33, with a degree in psychology. My experience, however, isn't limited to what I learned in school. I have been independently studying psychology & dreams since I was 13.

Though I AM NOT CURRENTLY A PRACTICING PSYCHOLOGIST, I wanted to do this blog because I believe that I have life experience that people can relate to and thought maybe it could help. So, please feel free to share your stories because secrets give our problems power
.








In my last post I mentioned that my mother had been abused. Over the years, I've talked in great depth to my mother and father on the subject as they were both open to discussion.

My father went into a type of recovery from alcoholism when I was around 14. When I say recovery, I mean our life circumstances changed dramatically and he gave up the boozin' and thus stopped the abuse.

From those years on, life was fairly good I'd say. Once that happened, my parents shared alot about their lives with me. I found out my dad was abused as a kid and he watched his father abuse his mother. This is a story we hear all the time. Patterns do repeat.

My mom didn't have a father figure and so she sought out acceptance and love in the wrong places. She didn't know she deserved better. I know there may be a lot of people who would judge both, but unless you've been in the situation, you really shouldn't.

It's not to say people get a free pass because they had hardships growing up, but it's like Oprah says, "When you know better, you'll do better". You'd be fooling yourself to say that what happens in our childhoods don't affect our adult lives.

Once I understood where my parents came from I could see them as human and humans make mistakes. The one thing I always had in my life, as crazy as it was, was love. I knew my parents loved me. I think that, without it, I wouldn't have turned out as good as I did.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    hi..i have been wanting to talked to someone about something that happend years ago..that i never really thought was wrong.Let me get right to it,i experimented with my brother sexually when we were kids,i was like 11 or 12 i cant remember he is like 3 years younger then me,we started to play this game,about vampires and stuff,and then i started to get a little curious,he would bite my cruch or penis area and i would do that to him,it was always with clothes on,and also we touched each other down there...it happend several times..and i always thought about it as 2 kids experimenting with each other nothing more than that.But lately i have been feeling that maybe i abused him,and maybe i scarred him for life and i feel SO BAD!!!!,that im a pedophile or something...and i feel so bad now,we have never talked about it again,but now it hunts me,and i feel awful and i just wanna know what i should do about it,i dont know if i should tell my family...i just dont know...ohh also i dont dream about beeing with children or anything...waiting for ur answer...bye...
    Suzie Q said...
    I understand that you would like to remain anonymous, but I'd prefer to answer you more privately. If you wanted to email me directly, you can use the "contact me" button on the top of the page.

Post a Comment